Thursday, May 13, 2010

Split personality

I am convinced my son Jake has a split personality disorder. At school or anywhere else but home he is a perfect angel of a child, everyone loves him, thinks he is so sweet and could do no wrong....and, they would be wrong :)
I volunteered to help out at Jake's preschool this morning for an hour while his teachers got to enjoy a nice catered lunch in honor of teacher appreciation day (and boy do they deserve it, I don't know how on earth they deal with those wild kids everyday!). As soon as I got there, Jake came running up to me and gave me a huge bear hug, kissed my nose and said " I love you mommy". Its enough to melt your heart, right? He continues on to wave at me from across the room and yell "That's my mom, I love her"...you would think I was the mother of the year the way Jake was going on and on. I get to sit next to him as he eats his lunch and he sits so nice and still and hardly makes a peep, he eats all of his food and cleans up his area when he is done, goes to get his rest mat just like he is supposed to and proceeds to lay down and actually closes his eyes and takes a short nap!!!! (this NEVER happens at home anymore, he stopped taking naps at 2 1/2)
I was beginning to think something was wrong with the boy, he was being too good and being too sweet for something NOT to be wrong :)
Just to give you an idea of why I was so surprised, ill tell you about how Jake behaves normally at home. We start ALL of our days without fail at 6:30 am to the sound of Jake making some sort of God awful annoying sound trying his hardest to wake either my husband or myself up to come downstairs with him as he is now wiiiiide awake and ready to go play. So one of us will roll out of bed, already grumpy at how our day is starting (again, since this happens EVERY day) and stomp down the stairs with him while he proceeds to play with his Thomas trains...and Jake cant play with his trains softly, no, they each have a very unique train whistle sound that is enough to make a dogs ears bleed. By this time if I'm not awake already, I stumble out of bed and try to throw on some clothes without waking the baby because he isn't too pleasant himself first thing in the morning. My daughter can some how sleep through all of this, bless her heart.
Breakfast is almost always a struggle because Jake wants an ice pop or a piece of chocolate for his meal and I want him to have cheerios and a banana, a melt down ensues until he finally gives in and eats the cheerios.
Getting dressed is yet another struggle. Jake is what I refer to as a serial streaker, he likes to parade around the house in nothing but underpants and many times he takes those off too and will be streaking around naked as a Jay bird...this all takes place in about a minutes time, ill have him completely dressed and go to the kitchen to pour a glass of OJ and look back to see him naked.
Once I finally get him dressed and the clothes are staying on, its time to gather his school things and get in the van to head out. All the way to school Jake will talk....and talk and talk and talk, about any and everything, there isn't a moments peace with him in the car. The talking I can deal with unless its not really talking and has turned into Jake's signature whiny voice that mimics the train whistle sounds that make dogs ears bleed :(  Its like nails on a chalkboard for me but it doesn't seem to bother him one bit.
So, I'm sure you can draw a mental picture of how the rest of our day goes. But for that 4 hours 3 days a week he is at preschool, its like he switches personalities and becomes a totally different child. He listens nearly perfectly to his teacher, he is sweet and kind to the other kids in class, he uses his manners, he is an angel.
Ive told his teachers how differently he is at home and I seriously don't think they believe me, but sadly, I am being totally honest. I love him with all of my heart! He is a smart smart kid and he really cracks me up sometimes with his silly humor, but gracious is he a terror about 80% of the time he is home with me. I keep hoping he will outgrow this....but I've been telling myself this since he turned 2 and now he is 4 1/2 and its not much better at all. Ive just gotta keep telling myself "He wont be a kid forever, he wont be a kid forever...."

Until next time...peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails